Uproar in Orissa Assembly over horse-trading in RS polls
Bhubaneswar: The Orissa Assembly was today
adjourned twice on the first day of the monsoon session
following an uproar over alleged horse-trading by the ruling
BJD in the just concluded Rajya Sabha polls.
As soon as the Question Hour began, senior Congress
leaders, including Leader of Opposition Bhupinder Singh and
party chief whip Prasad Harichandan, wanted the House to take
up an adjournment motion on alleged irregularities in June 17
Rajya Sabha polls.
Several Congress legislators trooped into the well
raising slogans against the ruling BJD and accusing it of
winning all the three Rajya Sabha seats by adopting unfair
means and using money power. They alleged that three
opposition MLAs abstained from the biennial elections due to
As the BJP members also stood up in support of the
assault on the BJD government, some Congress MLAs were seen
attempting to climb the Speaker`s table.
When repeated pleas for order in the House went unheeded,
Speaker Pradip Amat first adjourned the House for an hour.
After it reassembled, the House was again adjourned till 5 pm
as the members were unrelenting.
Congress MLAs Shibaji Majhi and Gregory Minz from
Lanjigarh and Rajgangpur, respectively, and BJP legislator
from Bonai, Bhimsen Choudhury had abstained from voting in
Rajya Sabha polls defying their party whips.
Harichandan told reporters outside the House that the BJD
"hijacked all the three Rajya Sabha seats by horse-trading and
irregular methods" and the Assembly must discuss the matter
through an adjournment motion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali