Uproar in Parliament over Chinese incursion reports
New Delhi: Both Houses of Parliament on Thursday saw noisy protests by members demanding a statement from Defence Minister AK Antony over media reports claiming that Chinese troops have intruded into Indian territory.
As soon as the Lok Sabha met at 11 am, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Samajwadi Party (SP) members raised the issue, saying Indian territory has been occupied by China.
The protesting members did not relent even after repeated requests by the chair to allow scheduled business to commence and consequently the House was adjourned briefly.
After the House reconvened, BJP leader Yashwant Sinha said he had raised the matter on Thursday but the government had yet not responded.
SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav attacked the government and said it has failed to take any action to prevent Chinese troops from entering Indian territory.
"If the government can`t protect our interest, they have no right to stay in power," said Yadav.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath responded: "It is no doubt a serious matter ... neither the government is weak nor useless. The government has nothing to hide on the issue."
He said the defence minister will make a statement in the Lok Sabha at 1 pm and Rajya Sabha at 3 pm.
According to media reports, an official National Security Advisory Board (NSAB) probe report submitted to the Prime Minister`s Office had said that Indian troops are not being allowed to patrol the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
The committee in its report allegedly concluded that 640 sq km of Indian territory has been occupied by China. However, NSAB had denied media reports.
In Rajya Sabha, BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu called it a serious matter and insisted that the defence minister must respond.
"Parliament can`t be a silent spectator to happenings along the India-China border," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- IPL 2016, Eliminator: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Kolkata Knight Riders — As it happened...
- RJD nominates expelled BJP leader Ram Jethmalani, ex-Bihar CM Rabri Devi to Rajya Sabha
- Apple Inc may never open retail stores in India: Here is why!
- Congress targets Amitabh Bachchan over Modi govt's 2nd anniversary event, says 'wrong message being sent'
- WTO sees Brexit costing UK billions in trade tariffs: FT