UPSC favours Aptitude Test over Civil Service Prelim Exam
New Delhi: With a view to focus on aptitude
of candidates to meet challenges of demanding life in civil
services, the UPSC on Thursday advocated replacing the existing
Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination with an Aptitude
"UPSC is convinced of the need for important changes in
the method of recruitment to the higher civil services that
are the vehicle for public service delivery. One of the
recommendations made by the Commission to the government is
that a Civil Service Aptitude Test replace the existing Civil
Services (Preliminary) Examination," UPSC Chairman, Professor
D P Agrawal said.
The proposal is to have two objective type papers that
are common to all candidates. The emphasis is on testing the
aptitude of the candidate for the demanding life in the civil
service, as well as on ethical and moral dimensions of
decision-making, he said.
"It has also been proposed that the structure of the
Civil Services (Main) Examination may remain the same till a
Committee of Experts, that may be appointed by the Commission,
goes into various aspects," Agrawal said during the
inauguration of UPSC lecture series on governance, here.
The UPSC chairman said "Careers in public service have
become more attractive in the context of a better emoluments
regime, as also on account of the changes in the global
economic scenario. This places a responsibility on the
government system to tailor procedures and careers to suit the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened