UPSC favours Aptitude Test over Civil Service Prelim Exam
New Delhi: With a view to focus on aptitude
of candidates to meet challenges of demanding life in civil
services, the UPSC on Thursday advocated replacing the existing
Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination with an Aptitude
"UPSC is convinced of the need for important changes in
the method of recruitment to the higher civil services that
are the vehicle for public service delivery. One of the
recommendations made by the Commission to the government is
that a Civil Service Aptitude Test replace the existing Civil
Services (Preliminary) Examination," UPSC Chairman, Professor
D P Agrawal said.
The proposal is to have two objective type papers that
are common to all candidates. The emphasis is on testing the
aptitude of the candidate for the demanding life in the civil
service, as well as on ethical and moral dimensions of
decision-making, he said.
"It has also been proposed that the structure of the
Civil Services (Main) Examination may remain the same till a
Committee of Experts, that may be appointed by the Commission,
goes into various aspects," Agrawal said during the
inauguration of UPSC lecture series on governance, here.
The UPSC chairman said "Careers in public service have
become more attractive in the context of a better emoluments
regime, as also on account of the changes in the global
economic scenario. This places a responsibility on the
government system to tailor procedures and careers to suit the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?