Uranium supply to India will be demand based: Oz
Melbourne: Australia`s uranium supply to India will be demand based once the approvals for the yellow cake exports to New Delhi are finalised, Energy Minister Martin Ferguson has said.
"It (uranium supply) will be demand based. The supply once approved for exports will be of a commercial nature between the Australian uranium and mining industry and potential customers in India," Ferguson told a news agency.
Asked when the uranium exports will begin, Ferguson said "We don`t put a timeframe. This is about a negotiation of a product between Australia and India."
"The issue is to get it right to resource negotiations and to make sure that we take the respective community with it in terms of their confidence about the fact that the uranium will be used safely."
Australia`s uranium reserves are the world`s largest, with 23 percent of the total.
Ferguson, a Labor party leader who had earlier advocated uranium sale to India, yesterday become the first politician to receive the Ashoka Medal, the first of its kind award instituted by Australia India Business Council - Victoria and Australia India Institute (AII), for his outstanding contribution made towards India Australia relations in the last twelve months.
He said that Australian uranium industry was growing and the amount to be sold to countries like India would be based on demand and between the buyers and sellers.
In December last year, Labor party, led by Julia Gillard, cleared the way for Australian uranium to be exported to India after a strong debate on the floor of the party`s 46th national conference.
Despite resistance from opponents, the landmark policy change was carried by a majority of delegates, paving the way for the first Australian country-to-country agreement to sell yellow cake to a nation outside the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.
Ferguson, a strong supporter of the uranium industry, had been lobbying within the government for Labor to re-instate the Howard policy of selling uranium to India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'