Urine remarks: ‘Controversy should have ended after Ajit’s apology’
Thane: Amid the unrelenting Opposition clamour for Ajit Pawar`s resignation over his controversial remark on drought, NCP chief Sharad Pawar on Saturday said the matter should have ended with an apology by the Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister.
"I feel, the matter should have ended with the apology," Pawar told reporters.
"It was good that Ajit Pawar apologised. Political leaders should take precautions while making public comments," he said, adding "Ajit Pawar should choose his language carefully."
Pawar, uncle of Ajit, had earlier tendered an apology on behalf of the Deputy Chief Minister after latter`s crass remark on drought kicked up a huge controversy in the state facing one of the severest droughts in public memory.
"I duly apologise on the behalf of Deputy CM of Maharashtra for the unwarranted comment that he had made," the Union Agriculture Minister had said on micro-blogging site Twitter.
Pawar said it was the party which would take a final decision on the issue of Ajit`s resignation.
"It is not the legislators, but the party, which will take a final decision," Pawar said.
Ajit Pawar had recently said he would take a call on Opposition`s demand for his resignation only after consulting NCP legislators, who had elected him their group leader.
Pawar also said the Opposition should not disrupt the legislature over the issue.
It is speculated that the matter was discussed during a meeting Sharad Pawar had with Maharashtra chief minister Prithviraj Chavan yesterday.
The Opposition BJP-Shiv Sena has also been insisting on an apology by the Chief Minister, a demand which has been rejected by the Congress.
"If there is no water in the dam? Should we urinate into it?," Ajit had recently said at a function at Indapur near Pune in an insensitive comment which had opposition up in arms against him, stalling the proceedings in both Houses of legislature for several days.
On the rampant illegal constructions in Thane and other areas, Pawar said, stringent action should be taken against public representatives and officials responsible.
A letter sent by the Thane chief conservator of forests had said NCP legislator Jeetendra Awhad abused and threatened forest officials trying to demolish unauthorised structures in the Mumbra-Diva belt.
"Demolish all illegal constructions, be it by Awhad or others," Pawar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'