URLs of anti-Islam film blocked in India: Report
New Delhi: The URLs of the controversial anti-Islam film, which has triggered violent anti-US protests in many Arab nations like Libya, Egypt and Yemen, have been blocked in India.
According to reports, the URLs and the webpages of the movie uploaded on YouTube has been blocked by Google following an order in this regard by a court in Jammu & Kashmir.
"We do, at times, block content in launched countries in response to a court order or other valid legal process," a Google spokesperson was quoted as saying to a news channel.
The spokesperson, however, cleared that the government has not made any specific request in this regard.
Considering the international condemnation of the anti-Islam movie and the massive protests sparked by it in the Arab nations, the J&K government made a request to the Home Ministry to block all webpages where the film is available, which was later forwarded to Director General of Computer Emergency Response Team India for urgent action.
Speaking on the issue, a Home Ministry official was quoted as saying. "The DG CERT-In is looking into the matter and in all probability the webpages will be blocked soon."
Similarly, the internet giant Google has also blocked the movie in Egypt and Libya after attacks on US embassies.
Issuing a clarification on the issue, YouTube, owned by Google Inc, earlier announced that it would not remove the clip but had blocked access in Egypt and Libya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16