US asked to term 1984 anti-Sikh violence a genocide
Washington: A petition with more than 46,000 signatures, including 29,000 online, submitted to the Obama Administration urges it to recognise the organised violence perpetrated against Sikhs during November 1984 as "genocide".
The rights group "Sikhs for Justice" (SFJ) has also announced plans to converge on Capitol Hill Feb 1, during the constituent work week of the House of Representative to lobby in support of the Sikh genocide petition, the group said.
The US Department of State`s Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labour that deals with issues relating to the international human rights violations and crimes against humanity is expected to respond on the Sikh genocide petition, it said.
In support of the petition, the SFJ has submitted "1984 Yes it is Genocide" report to Assistant Secretary of State Michael Posner.
The 300-page report presents evidence showing that Sikhs were killed in large numbers in those 19 states of India where the Congress party was in power during November 1984 and role of Congress leaders in inciting and organising violence with intent to destroy the Sikh community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video