US biggest arms supplier to India in last three years: Defence Ministry
New Delhi: In the last three years, the US has taken over Russia as the largest supplier of weapon systems to India, Rajya Sabha was informed on Tuesday.
Answering a written query in the Upper House, Defence Minister Arun Jaitley said in the last three years, India spent Rs 83,458 crore for procuring equipment from foreign vendors which included Rs 32,615 crore worth of supplies from the US whereas Russia exported hardware worth Rs 25,363.96 crore in this period.
In the last three years, India has bought several equipment from the US including the C130J Super Hercules aircraft, Harpoon anti-submarine missiles and the C-17 Heavylift transport aircraft.
Russia has traditionally been the largest supplier of weapons to India and the armed forces still have almost 70 per cent of their vintage equipment from that country.
France, which has been bagging a number of deals from India for submarines and fighter aircraft, has emerged as the third-largest supplier by selling equipment worth Rs 12,046 crore, Jaitley said.
Israel is at the fourth position with sales of Rs 3,389 crore while other sources account for Rs 10,043 crore worth of sales.
Meanwhile, answering another query, Jaitley said the government was working out the details and conditions of the FDI policy to raise FDI cap from 26 per cent to 49 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31