‘US concerned over India`s Nuclear liability law’
Washington: An MoU inked between Indian and American firms for setting up a nuclear reactor in Gujarat does not mean that America`s concerns over India`s nuclear liability law has been addressed, a top US official has said.
"No, it doesn`t mean that the issues with respect to the liability law are resolved," Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia Robert Blake told reporters yesterday at a news conference.
"The Westinghouse MOU marks a very significant step towards the fulfillment of our landmark civil nuclear cooperation agreement," he said.
A day earlier Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and External Affairs Minister SM Krishna termed it as a progress towards the full implementation of the historic Civil Nuclear Initiative including the Memorandum of Understanding signed between Westinghouse and the Nuclear Power Corporation of India (NPCIL).
The MoU committed both sides to negotiate an Early Works Agreement for the preliminary licensing and site development work associated with construction of the new Westinghouse reactors in Gujarat.
At the same time there is an ongoing progress between General Electric-Hitachi and NPCIL on their Memorandum of Understanding.
"I think both of our countries wanted to show that we still share a strong interest in seeing these commercial contracts come to fruition," Blake said.
"We do have still some concerns about the liability law, but the signing of this MOU and the future conclusion of early works agreements will provide very concrete evidence of our intention to move forward, and particularly from our perspective, the interest of our companies in continuing to work with NPCIL develop the very promising opportunities in this what will be a USD 40 billion sector," Blake said in response to a question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed