US Congressman Pallone for Anderson’s extradition
Washington: Influential New Jersey
Congressman Frank Pallone today said former Union Carbide
chief Warren Anderson deserves to be extradited from the US
and stand trial in India in connection with the Bhopal gas
Pallone is also a powerful member of the India Caucus
in the US Congress.
The State Department, however, has remained silent on
State Department spokesman P J Crowley had yesterday
said the US does not comment on extradition related issue.
But, he said the United States has an extradition
treaty with India.
"All those responsible for this disaster, including
the former chairman of Union Carbide Warren Anderson, should
stand trial in India and receive punishment that reflects the
devastation and pain they have caused for thousands of
people," Pallone said in a statement.
"Warren Anderson absolutely deserves to be extradited
from the US and punished for the full extent of his crimes. As
chairman of Union Carbide at the time of the Bhopal gas
disaster, Anderson was ultimately responsible for his
company`s actions," said Pallone, who is a powerful member of
the India Caucus in the Congress.
Noting that this court ruling is long overdue, Pallone
said the executives of Union Carbide and its Indian subsidiary
deserve to be criminally prosecuted.
"The court`s sentence of merely two years for those
responsible for the world`s worst chemical disaster is
outrageous," he said.
Pallone commended the Indian government on swift
action to reconstitute the Group of Ministers (GOM) to review
the circumstances surrounding the Bhopal disaster and pursue
"As the GoM recommended in 2008, I encourage the
Indian government to establish an Empowered Commission on
Bhopal which will have adequate authority and funds to ensure
that rehabilitation efforts are pursued and care is offered
for survivors of the disaster," Pallone said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'