US Congressmen urged to help Tri Valley affected Indians
Washington: An association of the Telugu
community in the US has appealed to lawmakers in the country
to help the hundreds of Indian students affected by the
immigration scam at a `sham` California-based University.
The American Telugu Association, representing the
large Telugu community in the US, sought to draw the attention
of US lawmakers towards the plight of the students, most of
whom are from Andhra Pradesh, at the Tri Valley University.
"It`s unfortunate that Indian students in Tri-Valley
are mistreated by immigration authorities who have become
victims of recent `scam` by Tri-Valley University," the
American Telugu Association president Dr Rajender Jinna, and
Bangar Reddy Aaloori, chair community service, wrote in a
letter to US lawmakers.
"We respectfully request your help in bringing it to
the attention of immigration authorities and favourably
consider providing students with all viable options especially
to continue their education by allowing them to study in
another University within the US and help maintain their legal
F-1 status in USA," the letter said.
According to a federal complaint filed in a California
court last week, the University helped foreign nationals
illegally acquire immigration status.
The university is said to have 1,555 students and as
many as 95 per cent of these students are Indian nationals.
"The students are from the respectable families in
India, never committed any crime and have high respect and
dream to study in USA," the letter said.
According to information available here, only about
140 visas were issues directly to Indian students for studying
at this university. However, many students it seems had
transferred themselves to this university from other
universities in the US.
This increased the number of students registered at
Federal agencies here claim that this so called
university was not conducting full time courses and registered
students were not doing full time studies, causing violation
of their visa status.
Indian authorities have pointed out that this
university appears to have been authorised by the US system to
issues I20 forms, and in any case US consulates in India had
issued visas for students to study here after their due
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing
- 17 girls dead in fire at school dormitory in Thailand