US Congressmen urged to help Tri Valley affected Indians
Washington: An association of the Telugu
community in the US has appealed to lawmakers in the country
to help the hundreds of Indian students affected by the
immigration scam at a `sham` California-based University.
The American Telugu Association, representing the
large Telugu community in the US, sought to draw the attention
of US lawmakers towards the plight of the students, most of
whom are from Andhra Pradesh, at the Tri Valley University.
"It`s unfortunate that Indian students in Tri-Valley
are mistreated by immigration authorities who have become
victims of recent `scam` by Tri-Valley University," the
American Telugu Association president Dr Rajender Jinna, and
Bangar Reddy Aaloori, chair community service, wrote in a
letter to US lawmakers.
"We respectfully request your help in bringing it to
the attention of immigration authorities and favourably
consider providing students with all viable options especially
to continue their education by allowing them to study in
another University within the US and help maintain their legal
F-1 status in USA," the letter said.
According to a federal complaint filed in a California
court last week, the University helped foreign nationals
illegally acquire immigration status.
The university is said to have 1,555 students and as
many as 95 per cent of these students are Indian nationals.
"The students are from the respectable families in
India, never committed any crime and have high respect and
dream to study in USA," the letter said.
According to information available here, only about
140 visas were issues directly to Indian students for studying
at this university. However, many students it seems had
transferred themselves to this university from other
universities in the US.
This increased the number of students registered at
Federal agencies here claim that this so called
university was not conducting full time courses and registered
students were not doing full time studies, causing violation
of their visa status.
Indian authorities have pointed out that this
university appears to have been authorised by the US system to
issues I20 forms, and in any case US consulates in India had
issued visas for students to study here after their due
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark