US Congressmen urged to help Tri Valley affected Indians
Washington: An association of the Telugu
community in the US has appealed to lawmakers in the country
to help the hundreds of Indian students affected by the
immigration scam at a `sham` California-based University.
The American Telugu Association, representing the
large Telugu community in the US, sought to draw the attention
of US lawmakers towards the plight of the students, most of
whom are from Andhra Pradesh, at the Tri Valley University.
"It`s unfortunate that Indian students in Tri-Valley
are mistreated by immigration authorities who have become
victims of recent `scam` by Tri-Valley University," the
American Telugu Association president Dr Rajender Jinna, and
Bangar Reddy Aaloori, chair community service, wrote in a
letter to US lawmakers.
"We respectfully request your help in bringing it to
the attention of immigration authorities and favourably
consider providing students with all viable options especially
to continue their education by allowing them to study in
another University within the US and help maintain their legal
F-1 status in USA," the letter said.
According to a federal complaint filed in a California
court last week, the University helped foreign nationals
illegally acquire immigration status.
The university is said to have 1,555 students and as
many as 95 per cent of these students are Indian nationals.
"The students are from the respectable families in
India, never committed any crime and have high respect and
dream to study in USA," the letter said.
According to information available here, only about
140 visas were issues directly to Indian students for studying
at this university. However, many students it seems had
transferred themselves to this university from other
universities in the US.
This increased the number of students registered at
Federal agencies here claim that this so called
university was not conducting full time courses and registered
students were not doing full time studies, causing violation
of their visa status.
Indian authorities have pointed out that this
university appears to have been authorised by the US system to
issues I20 forms, and in any case US consulates in India had
issued visas for students to study here after their due
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing