US couple convicted for attacking Indian
Sacramento (California): A white couple
has been convicted in federal court in a racially motivated attack on an Indian immigrant.
Prosecutors say 56-year-old Joseph Silva and his
52-year-old wife Georgia yelled racial slurs at Vishal Wadhwa
and his wife on a Lake Tahoe beach in July 2007.
When Wadhwa went to call police, he was attacked and
kicked in the head several times. He suffered broken face
bones and has lingering sensory and focus complications.
The Sacramento Bee newspaper reports that a jury found
the Silvas guilty Thursday of interfering with Wadhwa`s right
to enjoy public facilities because of his race or national
The couple previously pleaded no contest to
misdemeanor assault and battery in El Dorado County Superior
Court. Georgia Silva was sentenced to a year in jail and
Joseph Silva to six months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi