US court asks Sonia to respond to 1984 case by January 02
New York: A US federal court has given Congress president Sonia Gandhi till January 02 to respond to a Sikh body`s charges of protecting and shielding party leaders allegedly involved in the November 1984 anti-Sikh violence.
Sikhs for Justice (SFJ) had filed an amended class action complaint against Gandhi on December 4 citing what it called "specific instances of impunity, promotions and party tickets" to Congress leaders and police officials involved in 1984 violence.
The SFJ complaint against Sonia Gandhi invokes the federal court jurisdiction over the case based on Alien Tort Statute and the Torture Victim Protection Act of 1992 giving the survivors of human rights abuses the right to sue the perpetrators in the US.
The 38- page complaint demanding a jury trial of Sonia Gandhi alleges that her "acts and omissions were deliberate, wilful, intentional, wanton and malicious and should be punished by an award of compensatory and punitive damages".
While SFJ claims that the court summons were served on Sonia Gandhi through hospital and security staff at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre in New York on September 09, Gandhi`s attorneys had challenged the service of summons.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!