US court reduces Kashmiri separatist Fai`s sentence
Washington: A federal court has reduced the prison sentence of Kashmiri separatist and ISI agent Ghulam Nabi Fai by about four months in response to a petition from the US government.
Fai, 63, was given a two-year sentence in March 2012 for illegally working for Pakistan`s Inter-Services Intelligence to influence American policy on Kashmir. He was scheduled to be released in March next year.
In a petition filed on November 15, US Assistant Attorney Gordon Kromberg sought a reduction in Fai`s prison term because he had cooperated in bringing to book other persons involved in transferring funds from the ISI to the US to serve the cause of Pakistan.
"Upon consideration of the government`s motion for reduction of sentence and the court, after reviewing the record and hearing the arguments of counsel and having found that the defendant has rendered substantial assistance to the government, it is accordingly ordered that the government`s motion for reduction of sentence is granted," District Judge Liarn O`Gra said in an order issued yesterday.
Fai was arrested on July 19, 2011 for concealing the transfer of USD 3.5 million from the ISI to fund his illegal lobbying efforts and to influence the US government on the Kashmir issue. Prosecutors said his actions violated the Foreign Agents Registration Act.
In December 2011, Fai pleaded guilty to federal charges of acting on behalf of the ISI. He also acknowledged receiving money from ISI through clandestine routes and causing revenue losses.
In March last year, Fai was sentenced to two years in prison for "conspiracy to defraud the US" by concealing the transfer of the funds from the ISI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days