US crisis to impact world: Pranab Mukherjee
On Board Special Aircraft: President Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday said developments in the US impact the whole world and India`s economic recovery is dependent on the external environment.
Although it was for the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister P Chidambaram to respond to the US shutdown, he said, "I, in general terms, can say that we would like to have economic recovery faster but surely, in a globalised economy as ours, it does not depend only on our efforts.
"The external environment should also be considered".
Mukherjee was speaking to reporters aboard the special aircraft on way from Belgium to Turkey.
Answering questions on the impact of the present US crisis on India, the President said, "Generally US economy has its influence over world economy as it is the most powerful economy of the world. But on this issue the proper response should come from the Prime Minister and the Finance Minister and not from me as to how they are handling.
"What is their assessment of the situation? How far they consider the gravity of the situation. It is for the PM and the FM to respond".
Starting this month, the US government closed non-essential operations after Congress failed to strike a deal on spending and budget due to differences over `Obamacare`, the signature healthcare programme of President Barack Obama. Republicans and Democrats are blaming each other for the impasse.
The US shutdown has left nearly 800,000 employees on unpaid leave and closed national parks, tourist sites, official websites, office buildings, and more establishment and the prolonged stalemate is likely to have repercussions around the globe.
It may also have implications for India which is trying to arrest declining growth which had slipped to decade`s low of 5 per cent in 2012-13 and recorded a low of 4.4 per cent in the first quarter of the current fiscal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister