US disappointed with Rana`s acquittal in 26/11 charges
Chicago: The verdict of a Chicago court jury to acquit Pakistani-Canadian Tahawwur Rana from charges that he was involved in the Mumbai terror attacks is
disappointing, a top US government attorney said on Friday.
"We are disappointed with the not guilty verdict on the Mumbai attacks," US Attorney Patrick J Fitzgerald said after a Chicago jury gave its verdict on Rana case.
At the same time, the jury found Rana guilty on the other two counts of charges that he was involved in plotting a terror attack in Denmark and provided material support to Pakistan-based terror group Lashkar-e-Toiba, designated as a
foreign terrorist organisation.
"We are gratified by the guilty verdict of providing material support for the Lashkar. And we are gratified by the guilty verdict to provide material support to the conspiracy in Denmark," the US attorney said.
"I do not know, the government had the burden of proof," he said when asked what went wrong on the 26/11 charges that killed more than 160 people.
"We put our evidence forward and the jury found that we did not meet the burden (of proof) there. But they did find we made our burden proving material support to Lashkar and they found that we met our burden with regard to attack on
Denmark," Fitzgerald said.
Responding to a question, the US attorney said that he understands that Rana was acquitted on a very serious charge related to the Mumbai terrorist attacks.
"What we are saying is that we embrace jury`s verdict and where the jury disagrees with us, we accept that. However, what they did convict him for was very serious given that he was supporting Lashkar activities in India is very serious and supporting a plot in Denmark is very serious. No doubt that he was acquitted of serious conduct and is convicted of very serious conduct. We are not going to say, we got everything we wanted," he noted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam