US, EU ask India, other non-signatories to join NPT
Washington: Voicing their commitment to
preserving and strengthening the authority and integrity of
NPT, the US and EU have asked India and other non-signatories
to join the treaty, a pact New Delhi considers discriminatory.
"We are committed to preserving and strengthening the
authority and integrity of the NPT," they said in a joint
declaration at the conclusion of the US-EU 2009 Summit on Tuesday.
The nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), based on its
three mutually reinforcing pillars of non-proliferation,
disarmament and peaceful uses of nuclear energy, represents a
unique and irreplaceable framework for maintaining and
strengthening international peace, security and stability,
The United States and European Union urged NPT non-
signatories, including India, to accede as non-nuclear weapon
states to achieve universality.
India has refused to sign the NPT, maintaining that the
treaty is discriminatory in nature.
Expressing support for entry into force of Comprehensive
Nuclear Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) at an early date and in the
meantime continued observance of moratoria on nuclear tests,
the joint statement sought immediate start of negotiations on
a Fissile Material Cut-off Treaty (FMCT), including
verification provisions, on the basis of consensus agreement
on a programme of work reached in May 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam