US First Lady to host tea for Gursharan Kaur
Washington: US First Lady Michelle Obama would host Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s wife Gursharan Kaur over tea at the White House.
Kaur, 75, who is accompanying Singh on his US visit, is also likely to attend the swearing in ceremony of Indian-American Judge Sri Srinivasan.
Singh is scheduled to meet US President Barack Obama at the Oval Office of the White House on Friday.
Michelle, 49, would host tea for Kaur on the same day morning, the White House said today.
"First Lady Michelle Obama would be hosting Kaur on a private tea in her residence," a senior administration official told Indian reporters during a conference call on the eve of Prime Minister Singh`s arrival here.
"This is a distinctive feature and unusual and reflects the closeness of the relationship, both in terms of the nations and also the personal relationship," the official said.
According to officials, Kaur is also expected to attend the swearing in ceremony of Indian-American Srinivasan, the US Circuit Judge of the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
The swearing is scheduled for tomorrow. Kaur and Srinivasan are family friends.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets