US First Lady to host tea for Gursharan Kaur
Washington: US First Lady Michelle Obama would host Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s wife Gursharan Kaur over tea at the White House.
Kaur, 75, who is accompanying Singh on his US visit, is also likely to attend the swearing in ceremony of Indian-American Judge Sri Srinivasan.
Singh is scheduled to meet US President Barack Obama at the Oval Office of the White House on Friday.
Michelle, 49, would host tea for Kaur on the same day morning, the White House said today.
"First Lady Michelle Obama would be hosting Kaur on a private tea in her residence," a senior administration official told Indian reporters during a conference call on the eve of Prime Minister Singh`s arrival here.
"This is a distinctive feature and unusual and reflects the closeness of the relationship, both in terms of the nations and also the personal relationship," the official said.
According to officials, Kaur is also expected to attend the swearing in ceremony of Indian-American Srinivasan, the US Circuit Judge of the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
The swearing is scheduled for tomorrow. Kaur and Srinivasan are family friends.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?