US for long-term strategic partnership with India
Washington: The United States is investing in
long-term strategic partnership with India, the Pentagon on Thursday
said in a new defence strategic document which puts Asia on a
bigger priority and identifies China as a security threat.
"The United States is investing in a long-term strategic
partnership with India to support its ability to serve as a
regional economic anchor and provider of security in the
broader Indian Ocean region," said the document unveiled by
President Barack Obama in his rare appearance at the Pentagon.
The document titled `Sustaining US Global Leadership:
Priorities for 21st Century Defense` identified China as one
country which poses a security threat to the US in long term.
"Over the long-term, China`s emergence as a regional
power will have the potential to affect the US economy and our
security in a variety of ways," said the eight-page document.
"Our two countries have a strong stake in peace and
stability in East Asia and an interest in building a
cooperative bilateral relationship. However, the growth of
China`s military power must be accompanied by greater clarity
of its strategic intentions in order to avoid causing friction
in the region," the document said.
The new strategy also replaces the decade-old policy of
maintaining a force capable of fighting two wars at once.
"Even when US forces are committed to a large-scale
operation in one region, they will be capable of denying the
objectives of - or imposing unacceptable costs on - an
opportunistic aggressor in a second region," it said.
The document made clear that while some current military
missions will be curtailed, none will be scrapped entirely.
"Wholesale divestment of the capability to conduct any
mission would be unwise, based on historical and projected
uses of US military forces and our inability to predict the
future," the document said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH