US for long-term strategic partnership with India
Washington: The United States is investing in
long-term strategic partnership with India, the Pentagon on Thursday
said in a new defence strategic document which puts Asia on a
bigger priority and identifies China as a security threat.
"The United States is investing in a long-term strategic
partnership with India to support its ability to serve as a
regional economic anchor and provider of security in the
broader Indian Ocean region," said the document unveiled by
President Barack Obama in his rare appearance at the Pentagon.
The document titled `Sustaining US Global Leadership:
Priorities for 21st Century Defense` identified China as one
country which poses a security threat to the US in long term.
"Over the long-term, China`s emergence as a regional
power will have the potential to affect the US economy and our
security in a variety of ways," said the eight-page document.
"Our two countries have a strong stake in peace and
stability in East Asia and an interest in building a
cooperative bilateral relationship. However, the growth of
China`s military power must be accompanied by greater clarity
of its strategic intentions in order to avoid causing friction
in the region," the document said.
The new strategy also replaces the decade-old policy of
maintaining a force capable of fighting two wars at once.
"Even when US forces are committed to a large-scale
operation in one region, they will be capable of denying the
objectives of - or imposing unacceptable costs on - an
opportunistic aggressor in a second region," it said.
The document made clear that while some current military
missions will be curtailed, none will be scrapped entirely.
"Wholesale divestment of the capability to conduct any
mission would be unwise, based on historical and projected
uses of US military forces and our inability to predict the
future," the document said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!