US House resolution on PM`s state visit to be taken up today
Washington: Days ahead of the state visit of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, a resolution commemorating the Indo-US relationship has been schedule to be taken up for debate in the US House of Representative on Wednesday.
The resolution (H res No 890) moved by Congressman Jim McDermott and co-sponsored by 14 other lawmakers has been placed sixth the agenda item of the day according to the floor scheduled released last night by the House Majority Leader Steny H Hoyer.
Noting that India`s relationship with the US has deepened in past years and encompasses cooperation on matters relating to international security, world trade, technology, science and health, the resolution looks forward to continuing progress in the relationship between the two countries.
Welcoming Prime Minister to the US, the resolution commends the maturating of the relationship between the US and India, exemplified by the current official visit of Dr Singh.
The resolution notes that the ties between the US and India has great potential to promote stability, democracy, prosperity, and peace throughout the world and enhance the ability of both countries to work together to provide global leadership in areas of mutual concern and interest.
It says that Singh has helped shaped India`s economic policies to permit the expansion of a market economy, which has led to greater economic prosperity for India and the growth of a middle class.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued