US in close consultations with India on Iran
Washington: The United States is in close consultations with countries like India, China and Russia on implementing sanctions against Iran, a senior US official has said.
"We are in close consultation with India, with China, with Russia, with countries around the world, about strengthening their implementation of the international sanctions regime and about curtailing their dependence on Iranian crude oil," Victoria Nuland, State Department spokesperson told reporters.
"Since the new legislation has passed in the Congress, our embassy (in New Delhi) has been quite active with the Indian government. I would anticipate we are going to have some more intensive consultations in the weeks and months ahead," Nuland said when asked about the type of consultation with New Delhi.
The spokesperson said Iran is increasingly feeling pressure.
"It is desperate for friends and flailing around in interesting places to find new friends. We are making absolutely clear to countries around the world that now is not the time to be deepening ties, not security ties, not economic ties, with Iran," she said.
"Rather, it`s in the entire international community`s interest to make clear to Iran that it`s got a choice. It can, you know, remain in an international isolation, or it can comply with its obligations and start cooperating and rejoin the community of nations," she said.
The European Union, she said, is in the process of looking at tightening its own sanctions.
"It`s made some decisions in principle; hasn`t made final moves yet. We expect those at the end of the month," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...