US-India 2nd round nuke fuel talks in Vienna this week
Washington: The US and India will hold the
second round of talks on reprocessing spent nuclear fuel in
Vienna this week, with officials hoping to complete the
negotiations much before the one year time limit under the
historic Indo-US civilian nuclear deal.
The first round of talks were held in Vienna in July
this year during which, informed sources told a news agency, both India
and the US "surprised" each other by coming out with draft
proposals which could advance the completion of negotiations
by several months.
Officials hope to complete the negotiations much before
the one year time limit under the 123 Agreement that was
signed on October 8 last year.
The American delegation for talks in Vienna this week is
being led by Richard Stratford, Director of the Office of
Nuclear Energy Affairs in the State Department and
Washington`s points man for nuclear negotiations with India.
If everything goes well, the negotiations could even be
ready to be announced during the state visit of Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh to the United States in late November, sources
If that happens, it would be one of the fastest
negotiations of this nature, they said.
India has been seeking speedy negotiations of
"We are looking at the speedy negotiations of
reprocessing arrangements to facilitate this process," Indian
Ambassador to the US Meera Shankar said in May this year.
"Both sides have agreed to commence this process and
have identified their nodal points. So we expect to pursue
this very expeditiously," Shankar had then said.
The 123 Agreement on bilateral nuclear cooperation gives
New Delhi prior consent to reprocess.
However, it stipulates that this right would come into
effect only when India establishes a new national facility
dedicated to reprocessing safeguarded nuclear material under
the safeguards of International Atomic Energy Agency and
reaches an agreement with the US on "arrangements and
procedures under which such reprocessing... will take place in
this new facility".
On February 3 this year, the then Foreign Secretary Shiv
Shankar Menon, wrote to the Under Secretary for Political
Affairs William Burns, invoking the provisions of the 123
Agreement with a formal request to negotiate the "arrangements
and procedures" under which American spent fuel would be
reprocessed in India.
The Department of Atomic Energy also sent a similar
formal request to Richard Stratford. The United States
acknowledged the request.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark