US: Indian cab driver held on rape charges
New York: An Indian cab driver here has been
arrested on charges that he raped and robbed a 26-year-old passenger in his taxi last year.
Gurmeet Singh, 40, had allegedly held his victim at
knifepoint and bound her wrists. He faces charges of rape,
assault and robbery among others.
The woman had told the police that she fell asleep after
she got into Singh`s cab on her way back to her home one night
in May last year.
When she woke up Singh allegedly held her at knifepoint and raped her, The New York Post reported.
Singh, who is a Sikh, also stole her cellphone and some
cash before letting her go in the morning.
Police officers had posed as city taxi commission inspectors to get evidence that Singh was the cab driver they
were looking for.
They matched his DNA, obtained through a glass of water
they had offered to him, with evidence uncovered in the police
investigation of the sex assault.
Singh has been driving a cab since 1999 and his license
was suspended in 2007 for violating motor vehicles rules.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional