US: Indian couple charged with $8.8 mn healthcare fraud
New York: An Indian-American couple has been charged by US federal authorities for running a healthcare fraud scheme in which they claimed over eight million dollars through false medical bills.
Usha Shah and Deepak Shah, both 63, of Michigan were charged in a federal indictment for their participation in a series of separate Medicare fraud schemes involving home health services, US Attorney Barbara McQuade said.
According to the indictment, the Shahs were allegedly involved in fraudulent claims submitted to Medicare totaling more than 8.8 million dollars through their company, Miracle Home Health of Southfield, for home health care services that were medically unnecessary and never provided.
The Shahs also engaged in a conspiracy to pay cash kickbacks in return for obtaining Medicare beneficiaries whose identifications were used to bill the Medicare program.
"Medicare fraud cheats taxpayers out of money intended to pay for health care. We want providers to know that we are scrutinizing billing records to root out fraud," McQuade said.
FBI Acting Special Agent in Charge Edward Hanko said those who seek to steal from the medicare system and collect millions of dollars illegally must be brought to justice adding that the payment of kickbacks in exchange for the referral of Medicare beneficiaries is also against the law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof