US: Indian couple charged with $8.8 mn healthcare fraud
New York: An Indian-American couple has been charged by US federal authorities for running a healthcare fraud scheme in which they claimed over eight million dollars through false medical bills.
Usha Shah and Deepak Shah, both 63, of Michigan were charged in a federal indictment for their participation in a series of separate Medicare fraud schemes involving home health services, US Attorney Barbara McQuade said.
According to the indictment, the Shahs were allegedly involved in fraudulent claims submitted to Medicare totaling more than 8.8 million dollars through their company, Miracle Home Health of Southfield, for home health care services that were medically unnecessary and never provided.
The Shahs also engaged in a conspiracy to pay cash kickbacks in return for obtaining Medicare beneficiaries whose identifications were used to bill the Medicare program.
"Medicare fraud cheats taxpayers out of money intended to pay for health care. We want providers to know that we are scrutinizing billing records to root out fraud," McQuade said.
FBI Acting Special Agent in Charge Edward Hanko said those who seek to steal from the medicare system and collect millions of dollars illegally must be brought to justice adding that the payment of kickbacks in exchange for the referral of Medicare beneficiaries is also against the law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?