‘US-Indo defence ties not based on arms sales’
Washington: America`s strong and deepening
defence ties with India are not dependent on any arms sales,
but on common interests and objectives between the two largest
democracies of the world, a top Pentagon official said on Saturday.
"Defence trade is certainly a part of the bilateral
relationship but the cement and the core of that relationship
is not on any arms sales," Deputy Assistant Secretary of
Defence for South and Southeast Asia Robert Scher said.
"It is on the common interest, common objectives,
people to people ties between our two countries," he said.
"We share common interest in terms of maritime security
in the Indian Ocean; we have the same short of appreciation of
the importance of the global commons and we share interesting
safety and security in the region," Scher said responding to
questions at Pentagon round table with select Washington-based
journalists from the Asia Pacific region.
"This is the foundation of the growing relationship
that I think, has the potential and the currently we are
seeing how we are both working together to really improve the
stability of the region at large," said the top Pentagon
India is going to be a clear area of investment for
the United States, Scher said.
"For India the strategy points out that the United
States is investing in a long term strategic partnership with
India to support its ability to serve as a regional economic
anchor and provider of security in the broader Indian ocean
region," he said.
The top Pentagon official said the US India relationship
is a top priority for the government and for the
Department of Defence.
"We have a strong a growing bilateral partnership. We
think that we can work together with India on a range of
issues because we share common interests and that is
foundation of the work that we do together and how we look at
the world together," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre