‘US intelligence agency monitoring emails in India`
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: India is reportedly one of the top five countries being thoroughly monitored by US foreign surveillance agency National Security Agency (NSA), a UK newspaper has reported.
India is placed fifth on the list with 6.3 billion pieces of intelligence being recorded from computer networks in March this year, the Guardian stated, as per a newspaper report.
Iran was placed on the top of the list with 14 billion pieces of intelligence collected, Pakistan came close second with 13.5 billion followed by Jordan, and Egypt with 12.7 billion and 7.6 billion respectively in March, the report states.
The monitoring is a part of US government’s data surveillance programme initiated to prevent terrorist attacks. US President Barack Obama has defended the newly revealed government surveillance programmes as a small price to pay for keeping America safe from terror attacks.
He acknowledged that the public may be uncomfortable with the broad reach of the formerly secret programmes, but he said he believed the government had struck the right balance between the need to fight terrorism and the need to protect privacy.
"You can`t have 100 percent security and then also have 100 percent privacy and zero inconvenience," Obama was quoted as saying by the New York Times.
Sweeping up Americans` telephone records and monitoring Internet activity from overseas are "modest encroachments on privacy" that can help US intelligence analysts disrupt terror activity, he said.
(With Agency Inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy