US: Kamala Harris to address Democratic convention
Washington: Indian-American Kamala Harris, the California Attorney General, has been selected as one of the key speakers to address the Democratic National Convention next month, where the party would formally nominate US President Barack Obama as its presidential candidate.
Harris, daughter of an Indian mother and African-American father, is being called the future of the Democratic Party, a rising political star in the mould of one of her big supporters - Barack Obama.
She is the first women to be the attorney general of California.
In the convention to be held at Charlotte in North Carolina, the Democratic party would formally nominate Obama as its candidate for the November 06 Presidential Elections.
Obama, the first black-American President, is seeking re-election to the White House.
Harris has been campaigning aggressively for Obama. She along with another eminent Indian American woman from California - Shefali Razdan Duggal - have been nominated to the prestigious 2012 Convention Standing Committees.
The Democratic National Convention today announced its additional set of leaders to address its Charlotte convention prominent among them, besides, Harris, include the Chicago Mayor, Rahm Emanuel, Senator John Kerry, the Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley the Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and the former Ohio Governor Ted Strickland.
Previously announced speakers include former US president Bill Clinton and San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro who will be the first Latino keynote speaker at a Democratic National Convention.
The Democratic National Convention Committee’s announcement of Harris as one of its key speakers comes closely after the Republicans listing out two Indian Americans as their speaker at their convention in Tampa, Florida later this month.
Indian American Governors Bobby Jindal from Louisiana and Nikki Haley from South Carolina would address the Republican National Conventions next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India