US: Kamala Harris to address Democratic convention
Washington: Indian-American Kamala Harris, the California Attorney General, has been selected as one of the key speakers to address the Democratic National Convention next month, where the party would formally nominate US President Barack Obama as its presidential candidate.
Harris, daughter of an Indian mother and African-American father, is being called the future of the Democratic Party, a rising political star in the mould of one of her big supporters - Barack Obama.
She is the first women to be the attorney general of California.
In the convention to be held at Charlotte in North Carolina, the Democratic party would formally nominate Obama as its candidate for the November 06 Presidential Elections.
Obama, the first black-American President, is seeking re-election to the White House.
Harris has been campaigning aggressively for Obama. She along with another eminent Indian American woman from California - Shefali Razdan Duggal - have been nominated to the prestigious 2012 Convention Standing Committees.
The Democratic National Convention today announced its additional set of leaders to address its Charlotte convention prominent among them, besides, Harris, include the Chicago Mayor, Rahm Emanuel, Senator John Kerry, the Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley the Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and the former Ohio Governor Ted Strickland.
Previously announced speakers include former US president Bill Clinton and San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro who will be the first Latino keynote speaker at a Democratic National Convention.
The Democratic National Convention Committee’s announcement of Harris as one of its key speakers comes closely after the Republicans listing out two Indian Americans as their speaker at their convention in Tampa, Florida later this month.
Indian American Governors Bobby Jindal from Louisiana and Nikki Haley from South Carolina would address the Republican National Conventions next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing