US lawmaker hails India`s positive Afghan role
Washington: Describing a strong US-India partnership as an important factor for Afghanistan`s peace and prosperity, a leading US Senator has welcomed India`s positive contribution to Afghanistan`s reconstruction.
Senator Mark Kirk, a Republican member of the Senate India Caucus from Illinois, conveyed these views during a meeting on Thursday with the Indian Ambassador to the US, Nirupama Rao at Capitol Hill.
Rao and Kirk exchanged views on India-US bilateral relations and took positive note of the growing momentum of cooperation across a wide range of issues, according to an Indian embassy news release.
Rao and Kirk discussed the situation in Afghanistan and the common interests of India and US in the long-term peace, security and development of Afghanistan.
Rao referred to India`s robust development assistance to Afghanistan and India`s vision for an independent sovereign, stable, united, democratic and prosperous Afghanistan, emerging as the hub for trade, transportation and energy linking Central and South Asia, the embassy said.
Kirk, who is also a Commander rank officer in the US Navy Reserve, visited Afghanistan recently on a two-week tour of duty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon