US lists Indian Mujahideen as terror group
Washington: The United States named the Indian Mujahideen (IM) to its official blacklist of foreign terrorist organisations on Thursday, saying it has killed hundreds of innocent civilians in attacks dating back to 2005.
"IM`s primary method of attack is multiple coordinated bombings in crowded areas against economic and civilian targets to maximise terror and casualties," the State Department said in announcing the designation, which bars US citizens from providing any material support to the group and freezes any assets it may have in the United States.
The State Department said the IM, while based in India, has "significant links" to Pakistan and close ties to other groups on the US terror blacklist including Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT), Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) and Harakat-ul Jihad Islami (HUJI).
The United States and India have sought to step up counterterrorism coordination over the past several years as the two countries improve ties, although Indian officials say they would like more help, including better intelligence sharing.
The State Department said the IM carried out a 2010 bombing of a popular German bakery in Pune, India frequented by tourists, killing 17 and injuring over 60 people, and another attack in Delhi in 2008 that killed 30 people.
It said IM was also responsible for 16 synchronised bomb blasts in crowded urban centres and a local hospital that killed 38 and injured more than 100 in Ahmedabad and played a "facilitative role" in the 2008 Mumbai attack carried out by LeT that killed 163 people, including six Americans.
"These designations highlight the threat posed by IM not only to Western interests, but to India, a close US partner”, Ambassador Daniel Benjamin, the State Department`s counterterrorism coordinator, said in a statement.
"The Indian populace has borne the brunt of IM`s wanton violence and today`s actions illustrate our solidarity with the Indian government," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India