US may give India access to Headley again

Last Updated: Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 08:28

Washington: US would consider giving India further access to David Headley, who has pleaded guilty in the Mumbai terrorist attacks case, for questioning by its
investigating agencies once New Delhi makes such a request, the State Department has said.

"We have said in the past we`ve granted that access (to Headley) and, you know, obviously there was the trial that took place, but in the future we would consider providing that access again," State Department spokesperson Mark Toner told
reporters at his daily news conference here.

Last year, a team of Indian officials had questioned Headley, a Pakistani-American LeT operative, in Chicago.

Headley has pleaded guilty to 12 terrorism charges, including his involvement in the November 2008 terrorist attacks in Mumbai that killed more than 160 people.

Headley was also the star witness to the just concluded trial of Pakistani-Canadian Tahawwur Husain Rana, who was yesterday acquitted by a Chicago court in the Mumbai terrorist attacks case.

Besides, Toner said the trial of Rana in the Chicago court has sent a clear message that those who help terrorists would be brought to justice.

"Yesterday`s verdict sends a clear message that all those who help terrorists will be brought to justice, and all those who seek to facilitate violence abroad, as Rana did,
will be held accountable," Toner said.

He, however, refrained from making any comment on the acquittal of Rana on charges related to his involvement in the Mumbai terrorist attacks.

PTI



First Published: Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 08:28

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus