US mum on Headley interrogation

US authorities continue to remain silent on the questioning of David Headley by India`s NIA.

Last Updated: Jun 08, 2010, 10:29 AM IST

Chicago: A week after a team of Indian
investigators landed in the US to question LeT operative David
Headley, authorities here continue to remain silent on the
interrogation of the Pakistani-American accused of involvement
in the 26/11 Mumbai attack.

US Attorney`s Office spokesperson here Randall
Samborn
declined to comment on the interrogation, saying only that, "I
know the National Security Advisor Gen. James Jones has said
that access to Headley has been given and the matter is in the
hands of the relevant professionals from both governments".

An FBI spokesman said Tuesday that the federal
agency would "not be commenting at all" on details of the
Headley questioning, citing security reasons.

He said since the 26/11 case involves Indian
jurisdiction, "it would be highly inappropriate for us to make
any comment" adding that if Indian authorities want to comment
on the Headley access, they can.

Headley`s lawyer John Theis was not available for
comment. The National Investigation Agency team, headed by
Loknath Behera, last week got access to Headley, who has
pleaded guilty to conspiring in the 26/11 Mumbai attacks and
agreed to be questioned by foreign authorities under a plea
bargain struck with the US government.

Jones had last week confirmed that, "Yes access (to
Headley) has been given. We have fulfilled our commitment".

However, Jones did not spell out how and when the NIA
team was given access.

"This is an ongoing process and I don`t have any
detailed information that will be helpful except to say that
it is in the hands of right professionals from both
countries," Jones had said.

PTI

Tags: