US national continues to be detained; FBI also quizzes him
New Delhi: An American citizen was detained
at the Indira Gandhi International airport here after a knife
was found in his hand baggage and a FBI team joined Indian
investigators to probe if he had any terror link like US LeT
operative David Headley.
Investigators were also conducting a chemical examination
of the herbal plant "Shilajit" in which 61-year-old Winston
Marshall Carmichael had allegedly concealed a knife. He
remained in detention for the second day today.
FBI officials were also questioning him and verifying
his activities back in the US, official sources said here
Carmichael, a convert from Christianity to Islam, had a
tourist visa to India, Pakistan and Bangladesh and came here
from Bangladesh. He was detained minutes before he was to
board a Qatar-bound flight last night.
He had arrived in India in the last week of January and
travelled to Pakistan in Samjauta Express where he had
attended religious congregations of Tabliq-e-Islam and went
upto Karachi before flying to Dhaka in a Pakistan
International Air flight.
Carmichael later entered India through West Bengal
and took a train to the national capital where he was staying
in a hotel at Nizamuddin.
The knife concealed in a herbal plant `Shilajit`
and recovered by CISF from the hand baggage of Carmichael was
4.3 by 1.5 inches which is too small to be considered in
the category of a weapon, the sources said.
The Shilajit plant, as claimed by the detained US
national, had been sent for a chemical examination and a
report was awaited.
In the meantime, the Delhi Police and security agencies
were verifying his places of stay in the national capital
and travel from West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing