US officials told me to get lost: Headley`s wife
New York: "Get lost" was what the US
officials in Islamabad told the young Moroccan wife of 26/11
accused David Headley when she informed them that her husband
was planning a terror attack in India with the help of LeT.
Less than a year before 26/11 attack, one of Headley`s
three wives, Faiza Outalha, had two meetings with American
officials in Islamabad in which she told them that her husband
had friends in the Lashkar-e-Toiba and his business trips to
India never amounted to much, according to The New York Times.
"I told them, he`s either a terrorist, or he`s working
for you," she recalled saying to American officials at the US
Embassy in Islamabad. "Indirectly, they told me to get lost."
"I told them anything I could do to get their
attention," she told the NYT. "It was as if I was shouting,
`This guy was a terrorist! You have to do something.`"
27-year-old Outlaha also claimed that she showed the
US authorities photos of Headley and her stay at the Taj Mahal
Hotel, where they stayed twice in April and May 2007.
The stay is confirmed by hotel records.
A senior administration official confirmed Outalha`s
meeting but said she could not give any details to her
"The texture of the meeting was that her husband was
involved with bad people, and they were planning jihad," the
official said. "But she gave no details about who was
involved, or what they planned to target."
In a statement, National Security Council spokesman
Mike Hammer yesterday said that "The United States regularly
provided threat information to Indian officials in 2008 before
the attacks in Mumbai."
"Had we known about the timing and other specifics
related to the Mumbai attacks, we would have immediately
shared those details with the government of India," he said.
Headley, 50, was married three times, The NYT reported
- all at one at one point -- Outalha, who is a medical
student, a New York makeup artist and a conservative Pakistani
The paper pointed out that "despite those warnings by
two of his three wives, Headley roamed far and wide on
Lashkar`s behalf between 2002 and 2009."
Meanwhile, in her interview with NYT in Morocco,
Outalha also revealed some personal details about Headley like
his penchant for American shows like Seinfeld and Jay Leno
even while slamming the US for wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Outalha, also said that she went to the American
authorities to find out more about Headley`s true identity.
"I wanted him in Guantanamo," she said, recalling the
time when Headley had ditched her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?