US President Obama, Singh to meet informally
Washington: Though no official one-to-one
meeting has been scheduled between US President Barack Obama
and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the two leaders are
expected to have informal chats with each other at Pittsburgh
on the sidelines of G-20 Summit later this week.
Obama, a great admirer of the Prime Minister, is expected
to informally meet with Manmohan Singh during the two-day
summit on September 24 and 25, authoritative administrative
sources told a news agency.
Singh is expected to arrive in Pittsburgh on September
24, hours before the summit meeting officially tales off and
his entourage is scheduled to leave immediately after the
summit concludes on the next day.
Obama, who today left Washington for New York, would
spent rest part of the week at the United Nations headquarters
in New York to attend a series of meetings including the
UN-sponsored Summit on Climate Change, besides holding a
series of bilateral meetings -- prominent among them being his
meetings with the leaders of China and Japan.
On September 24, Obama would also chair Security Council
Summit meeting on nuclear non-proliferation and disarmament.
Soon thereafter he would leave New York for Pittsburgh,
wherein he would host the dinner reception for the leaders of
the top 20 economies of the world.
A formal bilateral meeting amid the hectic schedule of
the two leaders would have been more of a photo op rather than
yielding anything substantial. Moreover, Obama has invited
Manmohan Singh on his first State visit of his presidency,
signifying the importance he attaches to the Indo-US
relationship, the sources said.
Informed sources said at G-20, the world leaders would
expect from Manmohan Singh, himself a leading world economist
and who have successfully steered India out of the current
global downturn, to show the way in overcoming the financial
crisis and guide in laying foundation of a strong global
economy and a system wherein such crisis could be avoided.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read