US probe rules out wrong doing in killing of India
Washington: A US Navy investigation has ruled out any wrong doing into the killing of one Indian fisherman in a firing incident off the Persian Gulf last year that also injured three others.
"The investigation found that the use of force was appropriate and in accordance with Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff Standing Rules of Engagement," said the report released by the Commander of the US Naval Forces Central Command.
Soon after the incident on July 16, 2012, India had called for a transparent investigation.
An Indian fisherman was killed and three others were wounded when a security team onboard the US Navy ship fired at their small boat off the Dubai coast.
The investigation report said the entire sequence of events occurred in less than two minutes.
"The boat`s rapid closure speed, apparent collision course, and failure to respond to two attempts to warn the approaching boat, led the EST (US Navy embarked security team) to make a reasonable assessment that the boat represented an imminent threat and was demonstrating hostile intent. The EST responded with direct fire," the report said.
"The investigation made several recommendations. These include commencing escort operations into the UAE further off shore, and exploring the use of different warning devices," the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation