US: `Psychotic` Indian mom to return home
New York: A "psychotic" Indian mother, who
threw her 19-month-old baby into the Hudson river two years
ago, has been allowed to return home to reunite with her
daughters after a court here was told that her mental
condition had improved.
Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Gregory Carro sanctioned
the reunion on Saturday after noting that Devi Silvia, 34, has been
in remission from bi-polar disorder and reliably continuing
with medication and treatment.
He said she "had no idea what was happening to her" when
Silva threw her daughter into the river and leaped in herself
in May 2010.
"Silvia told authorities at the time that she pulled the
near-fatal stunt to get revenge on her husband for moving the
family out of India and hopscotching them around the United
States through his low-pay tech job with Oracle," The New York
The now-healthy girl and her eight-year-old sister have
been living in India with the sister of Silvia`s husband, the
Her attorney told the court that she was mentally ill and
had suffered a psychotic break at the time of the incident.
Yesterday, the judge said Silvia could serve her five
years` probation in India providing she keeps the court,
prosecutors and state mental health officials apprised of her
whereabouts and continued progress in therapy, reported The
New York Post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report