US reaffirms Narendra Modi`s visa application will be considered
Washington: Amidst raging controversy in India over visa for Narendra Modi, the US has reaffirmed that if the Gujarat Chief Minister applies for a visa his application will be considered like any other case.
"If he (Modi) applies for a (US) visa, certainly that would be considered, as through the normal process," said State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki.
"As I said yesterday (Wednesday), if he applies, it will certainly be reviewed, just as any application would be, but we wouldn`t speak about that publicly," she added.
Psaki had made a similar statement at her daily news conference on Wednesday, noting that there has been no change in the US policy with regard to this issue.
"The US does not take a decision on visa issues under pressure. No, we evaluate them case by case, and we wouldn`t speak to it publicly anyway. But of course, if he applied, it would be considered," she said in response to a question.
"The Vice President was just there, and we have a long- standing strategic and productive relationship with India," Psaki said.
The US has reservation over granting visa to Modi because of human rights violations in 2002 post-Godhra riots under his watch as the Chief Minister.
The State Department`s remarks came as the visiting BJP president Singh was winding up his three-day hectic visit to Washington, during which he met a host of US lawmakers, think tanks and academicians.
Singh told the Indian-American media here that he did not raise the issue of Modi`s visa with the US. He said that this is an issue for the US Government to take a call on.
"This is not our issue. This is an issue for US administration," he said. Singh said Modi is a "very very" popular leader of the country.
The State Department`s remarks also came amid controversy over the issue of 65 MPs writing to US President Barack Obama urging the US Administration to maintain the current policy of denying visa to Modi.
40 Lok Sabha and 25 Rajya Sabha MPs were reported to have written to Obama on the visa issue. The BJP has demanded a probe into the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in