US says willing to assist India-China dialogue
Washington: The US is willing to take steps to improve relationship between India and China and wants to work closely with New Delhi on a wide range of issues in East Asia, a top Obama Administration official has said.
"We frankly support an improvement in dialogue between India and China, and we would seek to take steps to facilitate that as we move forward," the Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs Kurt Campbell yesterday told foreign journalists here.
"Ultimately, we think that India`s role in the Asian-Pacific region stands to be one of the most important new developments over the course of the next decade, moving forward," Campbell said in response to a question.
The United States, he said, believes that India`s role, its policy to look east, is now really starting to bear fruit.
"We want to work closely with Indian friends on a range of issues: strategy for how to work together in the East Asia Summit, now that the United States is a full member;
working together in the ASEAN Regional Forum; and increasing dialogue and discussions on a range of mutual security issues in Southeast Asia and in Northeast Asia as well," he said.
Campbell said that in recent days the US had seen increase in Indian activities with a variety of states in Southeast Asia.
"We have seen in recent months a substantial increase in Indian activities with a variety of states in Southeast Asia; but also, most notably, with Japan. And we would seek to
support that going forward," Campbell said.
"We have also increased our deliberations with India about a variety of developments in Southeast Asia, and including the Pacific, and we think that this is a very important ingredient," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India