US seeks `fairer` Indian nuclear law
Washington: Making it clear that India`s nuclear liability law remains a sticking point, the United States says it`s talking to New Delhi to make sure that Indian legislation does not disadvantage American firms.
"We want to ensure that our companies can compete freely and fairly in this industry as we hope and expect that they`ll be able to compete in other industries both in India and around the world," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters on Tuesday.
"So we want to make sure that legislation on the books in India does not disadvantage American firms," she said when asked what specific steps the US wanted India to take to ensure that American companies get a level playing field in Indian civilian nuclear industry.
Describing it as "a very sensitive issue that has been under discussion between our governments for a number of months," Nuland said the US statement made it clear "that this is an issue we have not yet resolved with the Government of India".
"We`re continuing to work on it because we think it`s very important for both countries to finalise all of the terms that offer so much promise for both of our people," she said.
Asked if it was a sticking point in India-US relations, Nuland said: "This is an issue that we`ve been discussing. It`s an issue that both governments know we have an interest in resolving. Sometimes these things take time, so we`re going to continue to work on it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj