US Senate passes resolution on Diwali
Washington: Recognising the religious and
historical significance of Diwali, the US Senate has passed a
resolution greeting Hindus, Sikhs and Jains in the US and
across the globe on the festival.
Noting that Diwali is a festival of great significance to
Indian Americans and South Asian Americans, the Senate in its
resolution lauded the universal message of compassion it
offers to the world.
The Senate recognises the religious and historical
significance of the festival of Diwali that is celebrated
annually by Hindus, Sikhs, and Jains throughout India, in the
United States, and the world, it said.
The Senate expressed its deepest respect for Indian
Americans and South Asian Americans, and the diaspora
throughout the world on this significant occasion.
The resolution introduced in the Senate by Senators
Robert Menendez, John Cornyn and Mark Warner, said Diwali is a
festival of lights, during which celebrants light oil lamps,
and pray for health, knowledge, peace, wealth, and prosperity.
The lights symbolise the light of knowledge within the
individual that overwhelms the darkness of ignorance,
empowering each celebrant to do good deeds and show compassion
to others, it said.
Senator John McCain too offered his greetings in a
statement and said that the occasion provides an inspiration
to recognise the common humanity and reach for values that
transcend borders, nationalities, and cultures - "the victory
of good over evil, knowledge over ignorance, and light over
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble