US should find ways to engage with Narendra Modi: Ex-diplomat
Washington: A former top American diplomat has said that United States "should now find ways to engage" with Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, who is now the prime ministerial candidate of the main opposition party.
"It is very clear that Modi is (now) a national political figure, and not simply a regional figure. He would be the lead spokesperson for the BJP in this election. I think the United States should recognise that act and find ways to engage (with him)," Karl F Inderfurth, the former Assistant Secretary of State for South Asian Affairs from 1997-2001, told a news agency.
A close watcher of political developments in India and an eminent American expert of India-US relationship, Inderfurth currently is the Senior Adviser and Wadhwani Chair in US-India Policy Studies of the prestigious think-tank Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS).
While Inderfurth maintained that it is for the US State Department to decide on its visa policy with regard to Modi, he insisted that in the light of the new development the Obama Administration should find ways to engage with Modi.
"We have already seen a number of US delegations travelling to Gujarat meeting with the Chief Minister."
Referring to the upcoming General Elections in India, he said the US should be "respectful of the process" and "recognise that an important segment of the Indian body politics" is now to be considered to be a prime ministerial candidate. "I think, they we have to take that into account."
"Now how that is played out, I leave that to the State Department," he said, adding that he and other Americans would be watching this election with great interest.
"In part because, I am hopeful that, after the election takes place, after the new government is formed, whichever party/coalition that it would be then be able to address many of the difficult issues being faced by India," he said.
Responding to the official US position for the past several months on no change in its visa policy with regard to Modi, Inderfurth said he would let the State Department speak for itself.
"I think, that the United States should recognise the role that Modi would be playing at the national scene and we need to respond accordingly," he said.
Modi is scheduled to address the Indian-American community and BJP supporters over the weekend through live satellite during the two-day convention of the Overseas Friends of BJP (OFBJP) in Tampa.
The event with the theme `Mission 2014: BJP 272+` would be inaugurated by BJP`s national vice president Smriti Irani.
Noting that the entire Diaspora is elated on hearing the announcement that Modi is the prime ministerial candidate, OFBJP in a statement said it has fortified its resolve to make BJP win resoundingly in the parliament elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India