US student wins scholarship to study Urdu in Lucknow
Washington: A US student, curious to know the political history between India and Pakistan, has won a scholarship to study Urdu in Lucknow.
"I`m very interested in the political history between Pakistan and India and their unique situation at the moment as two nuclear weapon yielding powers that haven`t signed the Non-Proliferation Treaty," said Ugbaad Keynan, a sophomore and an international affairs major at Eastern Michigan University.
Awarded a Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) to study Urdu in Lucknow, this summer, Keynan will arrive in Lucknow in June and spend the next eight weeks studying the Urdu language while living with a host family, the university said in a statement.
The goals of the CLS Urdu Programme are language acquisition and cultural immersion.
Language classes cover the concepts of grammar, conversation, pronunciation, journal writing, and dictation that hone the four skills of language development, listening, speaking, reading and writing.
"I chose Urdu because I`m interested in the region academically," Keynan said.
"I am looking forward to meeting the other programme recipients. Many of them are graduate or Ph D students who are very accomplished in their respective fields," Kenyan added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday