US student wins scholarship to study Urdu in Lucknow
Washington: A US student, curious to know the political history between India and Pakistan, has won a scholarship to study Urdu in Lucknow.
"I`m very interested in the political history between Pakistan and India and their unique situation at the moment as two nuclear weapon yielding powers that haven`t signed the Non-Proliferation Treaty," said Ugbaad Keynan, a sophomore and an international affairs major at Eastern Michigan University.
Awarded a Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) to study Urdu in Lucknow, this summer, Keynan will arrive in Lucknow in June and spend the next eight weeks studying the Urdu language while living with a host family, the university said in a statement.
The goals of the CLS Urdu Programme are language acquisition and cultural immersion.
Language classes cover the concepts of grammar, conversation, pronunciation, journal writing, and dictation that hone the four skills of language development, listening, speaking, reading and writing.
"I chose Urdu because I`m interested in the region academically," Keynan said.
"I am looking forward to meeting the other programme recipients. Many of them are graduate or Ph D students who are very accomplished in their respective fields," Kenyan added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read