US student wins scholarship to study Urdu in Lucknow
Washington: A US student, curious to know the political history between India and Pakistan, has won a scholarship to study Urdu in Lucknow.
"I`m very interested in the political history between Pakistan and India and their unique situation at the moment as two nuclear weapon yielding powers that haven`t signed the Non-Proliferation Treaty," said Ugbaad Keynan, a sophomore and an international affairs major at Eastern Michigan University.
Awarded a Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) to study Urdu in Lucknow, this summer, Keynan will arrive in Lucknow in June and spend the next eight weeks studying the Urdu language while living with a host family, the university said in a statement.
The goals of the CLS Urdu Programme are language acquisition and cultural immersion.
Language classes cover the concepts of grammar, conversation, pronunciation, journal writing, and dictation that hone the four skills of language development, listening, speaking, reading and writing.
"I chose Urdu because I`m interested in the region academically," Keynan said.
"I am looking forward to meeting the other programme recipients. Many of them are graduate or Ph D students who are very accomplished in their respective fields," Kenyan added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?