US tells India Headley opposed to further questioning
New Delhi: Mumbai attack terrorist David Headley, who is currently in American custody, has been opposing his further interrogation by Indian investigators.
This was conveyed by Washington to New Delhi held here today during Indo-US strategic dialogue after India had consistently asked the US to give access to Headley for a second time to get more information about the November 2008 audacious attack.
The US interlocutors have cited Headley`s plea bargain with the American authorities (under which a person avoids death penalty by confessing to the crime) and indicated its difficulty in allowing Indian investigators to further question Headley who had carried out the recce of the 26/11 targets for the Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba, official sources said.
However, India may be allowed to question Headley`s accomplice Tahawwur Hussain Rana who helped his childhood friend to recce the 26/11 targets.
Indian investigators believe that if they could quiz Pakistani-Canadian Rana, many information could come to light as he was a close associate of his Pakistani-American friend Headley.
The investigators believe that Headley and Rana have a lot of information and their interrogations could throw more light on the conspiracy hatched to carry out the worst terror strike in India and role of those behind it.
Indian investigators had questioned Headley in 2010.
Headley had pleaded guilty to 12 terrorism charges, including his involvement in the November 2008 terror attacks in Mumbai that claimed 166 lives. He had, however, entered into plea bargain with US authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read