US treasury secretary to visit India in October
Washington: US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner would travel to India early next month for the third round of high-level economic dialogue between the two countries, an official announcement said today.
During this India trip that would revolve around the India-US Economic Financial Partnership, Geithner would travel to Mumbai, besides New Delhi on October 09 and 10.
The visit was postponed early this year after the then finance minister, Pranab Mukherjee, resigned to contest Presidential Elections.
This would be the first high-level economic dialogue between India and the United States, after P Chidambaram took over as the finance minister, following the resignation of Mukherjee.
"The US-India Economic and Financial Partnership has served as a platform for greater cooperation on economic issues of importance to both nations," the Department of Treasury said in a statement.
"Both countries recognise the importance of expanding bilateral economic engagement, noting the rapid growth of US-India economic ties and the increasing range of global macroeconomic and financial issues, including those related to illicit finance, on which the United States and India cooperate," Treasury Department said.
Geithner and Chidambaram would co-chair the third US-India Economic and Financial Partnership in New Delhi on October 09.
Later that day, Geithner will participate in a moderated discussion hosted by the Confederation of Indian Industry and the US-India Business Council.
On October 10, Geithner will travel to Mumbai, the country`s financial centre, to meet with Reserve Bank of India (RBI) governor Duvvuri Subbarao, as well as Indian business leaders from a variety of industries.
From India, Geithner would travel to Japan.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know