US treasury secretary to visit India in October
Washington: US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner would travel to India early next month for the third round of high-level economic dialogue between the two countries, an official announcement said today.
During this India trip that would revolve around the India-US Economic Financial Partnership, Geithner would travel to Mumbai, besides New Delhi on October 09 and 10.
The visit was postponed early this year after the then finance minister, Pranab Mukherjee, resigned to contest Presidential Elections.
This would be the first high-level economic dialogue between India and the United States, after P Chidambaram took over as the finance minister, following the resignation of Mukherjee.
"The US-India Economic and Financial Partnership has served as a platform for greater cooperation on economic issues of importance to both nations," the Department of Treasury said in a statement.
"Both countries recognise the importance of expanding bilateral economic engagement, noting the rapid growth of US-India economic ties and the increasing range of global macroeconomic and financial issues, including those related to illicit finance, on which the United States and India cooperate," Treasury Department said.
Geithner and Chidambaram would co-chair the third US-India Economic and Financial Partnership in New Delhi on October 09.
Later that day, Geithner will participate in a moderated discussion hosted by the Confederation of Indian Industry and the US-India Business Council.
On October 10, Geithner will travel to Mumbai, the country`s financial centre, to meet with Reserve Bank of India (RBI) governor Duvvuri Subbarao, as well as Indian business leaders from a variety of industries.
From India, Geithner would travel to Japan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore