US visa: Certain applicants exempted from personal interviews
New Delhi: Buoyed by a record number of Indians visiting the US in 2011, the Obama Administration has exempted certain applicants from appearing in personal interviews by consular officer for their visas.
"In 2011, we welcomed over 6.6 lakh visitors from India -- which is a new record. India is now poised to leap into the top 10 and cross the one million mark in 2015.
I am pleased to say that Obama Administration is taking more concrete actions to help more people to visit the United States," said Nancy Powell, the US Ambassador to India.
Recently, the US State department implemented a programme that would allow certain applicants to apply for visa without being interviewed in person by a US Consulate, she said, without specifying the category.
She was addressing function of three-day long travel and tourism exhibition of India -- South Asian Travel and Tourism Expo (SATTE), being held here from today.
The US envoy said that increase in travel of Indians to the US is indicative of not just of America`s welcoming atmosphere, but also of strong relations between out two peoples.
"Travel and tourism to the US is an important way for us to expand our cultural and commercial ties and increase trade with countries. But most important aspect of travel and tourism is not dollar figures, but the person-to-person relationships that are cultivated," Powell said.
She also highlighted that the US was one of the top MICE (meetings, incentives, conferences and exhibitions) destination of the world and said, "The US provides excellent convention locations, restaurants, shopping and travel options, tours unique offsite venues and others."
SATTE 2013, which is being held at Pragati Maidan from January 16 to 18, will witness participation of many major Indian and global players who see it as a platform to give momentum to their business from India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician