US webcam spying: ‘Indian student immature`
New York: The lawyer for an Indian student
accused of spying on his roommate`s homosexual tryst Saturday said his client acted in a "childish and immature" manner but
prosecutors countered saying his acts were "mean spirited and
criminal", and aimed at exposing his fellow freshman as gay.
The trial of 19-year-old Dharun Ravi, a former Rutgers
University student, began in New Brunswick, New Jersey near
here, with both sides making their opening statements.
Ravi has pleaded not guilty to charges of bias
intimidation and invasion of privacy of his roommate Tyler
Clementi, 18. He had used a webcam to spy on Clementi, who
later jumped to his death from the George Washington bridge in
The most serious count against him is bias intimidation,
a hate crime, which carries a potential sentence of 10 years
in prison. If convicted, Ravi could also face deportation to
Ravi`s lawyer Steven Altman told the court his client had
no intentions of intimidating Clementi and neither did he have
any dislike for gays.
"We do stupid things, we make mistakes, especially when
we`re young? It doesn`t mean we`re hateful, we`re bigoted or
we`re criminal," Altman said.
"In fact, Dharun never intimidated anyone. He never
committed a hateful crime. He`s not homophobic. He`s not
Altman stressed that Ravi was a young person just out of
high school and is "a boy, childish, at times immature. He was
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read