Use a khadi postal stamp, exhibit `Gandhigiri`
New Delhi: As Father of the Nation Mahatma
Gandhi observed, "khadi is not a cloth, khadi is a thought",
the postal department now allows you to share the idea with
your loved ones by using a stamp made of the fabric on the
In a first, the Department of Post`s (DoP) today
unveiled a limited edition postal stamp made of khadi at the
ongoing philatelic exhibition -- Indipex 2011.
"For the first time in history, a special khadi stamp is
being used, which is on Mahatma Gandhi, the apostle on
non-violence, and I have the great honour of releasing it
today," President of India Pratibha Devisingh Patil said while
inaugurating the exhibition.
A person can order a maximum of 10 khadi stamps of Rs
250 each, according to the department, which issues them in a
special collector`s pack.
The six-day-long philatelic exhibition also marks the
centenary celebration of the first official Airmail flight in
The first Airmail flight took place in India on February
18, 1911 between Allahabad and Naini.
"100 years ago, on February 18, 1911 a French pilot
flew first Airmail flight between Allahabad and Naini. This 13
minute flight carried 6500 mails and was the world`s first
official airmail flight," IT and Communications Minister Kapil
Sibal, who was also present at the occasion said.
"We will launch special stamps to commemorate Airmail in
Allahabad," he added.
Indipex 2011 is an international event and is being
organised in India after 13 years.
The first exhibition was held in the year 1954 and last
was in 1997.
This is the sixth time the world philatelic exhibition is
being oragnised in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls