Use of digital tools enriching our democracy: PM Manmohan Singh
New Delhi: The use of digital tools in political campaigning and the active participation of youth in politics are enriching India`s democracy, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Wednesday.
"Recent developments point to the greater enrichment of our democracy, which is becoming more participative and interactive, with people using both traditional methods and new digital tools to mobilise and communicate," Manmohan Singh said here while addressing the inaugural session of the 12th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas, the annual gathering of the people of Indian origin.
"It is especially encouraging to see our youth from all walks of life not only articulate their expectations and aspirations, but take actively to politics to shape their future."
The Prime Minister`s comments come on the heels of the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) coming to power in Delhi after the Assembly Elections last month.
The year-old AAP vigorously used the social media to garner support for its candidates and assumed power in the Indian capital.
Stating that the participation of youth in politics is only to be welcomed, Manmohan Singh said: "It is only thus that the extraordinary transformation that is taking place in our country on multiple levels can be distilled constructively into our democratic process, which has the vitality and responsiveness to reflect the new and emerging concerns and hopes of our people."
He said whatever the results of the next General Elections in the country this year may be, "they will once again demonstrate to the world the strength of our democracy and our institutions".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter