Use of SUVs in India criminal: Ramesh
New Delhi: Use of Sports Utility Vehicles (SUVs) in countries like India is "criminal", Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh said on Friday and pitched the need for evolving an effective fuel policy regime to discourage the use of such vehicles that emit more carbons.
"The luxurious growth of large-size vehicles like SUVs is really a growth of concern... use of vehicles like SUVs and BMW in countries like India is criminal," Ramesh said at a UN function here.
"I think, we seriously need to think about fuel policy regime," he said.
The minister said there should be a reformed diesel policy as the real beneficiaries of the diesel subsidy are the owners of the "BMWs, the Benzs and Hondas" and not farmers.
"We are subsidising diesel. We have reformed policy as far as petrol is concerned. We are yet to reform as far as the net effect of diesel subsidy is concerned," he said.
"The subsidy in the social security sector should be really for LPG and kerosene," he said, adding that to control carbon emission, there was a need to have a fuel
"And certainly put a penalty on the type of cars that you don`t want to see on the roads which is diesel driven car, SUVs," the minister said.
"We can not ask people to buy or not to buy a particular car. But through an effective fiscal policy, we can certainly have an impact," he said.
Ramesh said the transport sector contribute 7.5 percent of the greenhouse gas emissions in the country and this is expected to be 15 percent in the next 15 to 20 years.
"We are worried and we are looking at how to control these emissions from transport sector. For this to happen, there should be mandatory fuel efficiency standards," he said.
The minister added that a national transport policy committee has been constituted and the committee will give its recommendations in next 12 to 15 months.
Dismissing the notion that the increased use of electric car will help reduce carbon emission, the minister said those who advocation for it thinks that "electricity
comes from heavens."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks