Use Wi-Fi with proper security measures, advises scientist
Ahmedabad: Vic Hayes, considered the
father of Wi-Fi technology, today cautioned against use of the
wireless technology without adequate security measures.
"Internet is an open network, anybody can peep inside
and look at what others are doing. It is not at all secure,"
Hayes, a Senior Research Fellow at Delft University of
Technology, The Netherlands, was here to deliver a lecture on
`The genesis of Wi-Fi and some applications` at a function
organised by Netherlands Business Support Office (NBSO).
"One has to take precautions while using Internet,
especially Wi-Fi technology, which should not be installed
without proper security."
He emphasised on the need for alliance between the
information technology firm for sharing spectrum that enables
use of Wi-Fi technology, which allows users to log on to the
Internet without wire connections and in a remote manner.
Hayes maintained that many of the social and economic
benefits of the Wi-Fi (wireless fidelity) technology needed to
be exploited for human development. The noted scientist more
innovative ways to use the technology should be developed.
He said the Indian government should make easier
policy regulation for spectrum allocation.
Hayes co-established and chaired the IEEE 802.11
Standards Working Group (WG) for Wireless Local Area Networks
and became known as the "Father of Wi-Fi".
After retiring in 2003, Hayes is now writing a book
titled `The Genesis of Wi-Fi and the Road Toward Global
"We plan to get the book published by June which marks
the 25 years of our journey in developing the technology,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel